Sunday, April 3, 2011

Dos Cabezas Camping

What a nice and much-needed break!  Friday night we received an invitation to go on a one night camping trip in Anza Borrego.  Why not?  I'm so glad we decided to go.  What a stunning area!  Even though we battled 40 mph gusty winds all night it was so nice to get out and discover a new place.  The campground was several miles down a 4wd road.  We barely made it in my low-clearance Subaru (will need to replace it with something a little tougher one of these days).  The spot was at the end of the road surrounded by rocky peaks, which provided some shelter (but not much) from the wicked winds.  We went with several friends from work and some of their friends whom we'd never met before.  It's always great to meet new folks.  We had a potluck style dinner and were treated to hot toddys (sp?),  hot buttered rum, and gourmet smores (made with recees)...  Quinn slept amazingly well given the conditions.  I think he slept better than anyone else.  The kid likes tents!  Yippee!



Cholla cholla everywhere!  Glad I didn't have to map this.
Woke up to Cactus Wrens singing!
Waiting for the sun to hit us

Did I mention that it was WINDY?


Handsome mutt

Anza the wonderdog

Katie with her blanket

Ladder-backed Woodpecker at the campsite


This morning we went on a short hike.  I'm so happy that Quinn is back to his energetic self.  He enjoyed running up the trail, walking the dog, and seeing sssssssnakes!

Inside a little "cave"

Suellen, Michael and Erin

Michelle



Still more cholla

2 comments:

Diane said...

What a beautiful place. Looks like lots of fun for all, except for the sleeping.

Colleen and Andy said...

Wow!! Reminds us of camping with you a year ago when it was full spring in the desert! Wish we could have been there with you! Miss you guys!