Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Job: Mom or Biologist?

Less than a week to go until Daddy gets back. We're finding ways to entertain each other. The scene below is what I found this morning when I forgot to put the vacuum away.

Who needs toys when you have a vacuum cleaner? I should mention that he was going "vroom vroom" the entire time too.

Ride 'em cowboy!


Lazy tuesday morning on the couch with the mutt

Happy kid


So I have a dilemma...I was offered a job yesterday. I interviewed for it quite some time ago and after hearing nothing for so long I assumed that they were not going to offer it to me. I've managed to get used to the idea of being a stay-at-home mom for the next few months until I go back to work for USGS. I'd planned to take an extended trip to the east coast around the holidays, have a visit from Emily on the books, thought we'd join the YMCA and continue doing gymnastics... The job begins on Dec 6. It will mean that I will have to very quickly put Quinn back in daycare, change my Xmas plans, etc etc etc. I'm actually really torn on whether or not I should take it. I'm sure it can't hurt my resume, but not sure how much of a boost it will provide....anyone out there have any thoughts, advice? I'm willing to listen to it all...oh and i have to decide by tomorrow...

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

what would you be doing and for how long? Is it full time permanent position? Are you really interested in the work? Do you need the $$? I know the obvious answer but REALLY need it?

It's tough to choose, I always lean towards home. I can work when they are gone. I know I only get one chance to do it right with them. My education isn't wasted staying home, my kids can id more wildlife and plants than 95% of the population, they enjoy the outdoors and respect life and are calm and centered (ok, sometimes). I have NEVER regreted not working more. Besides I have PLENTY of work here! :-) Happy choosing!

Alex Houston said...

I would be mapping bird habitat and later conducting bird surveys where appropriate habitat exists. The money isn't great, so that's really not an issue. The pros are making contacts in the field and the experience...and I generally enjoy working. It is temporary. Ideally it would be a 6 month job, but I have another commitment in April, so for me it would only be 4 months. The cons are that I would have to put Quinn back in daycare just when i was starting to get used to being home with him....I'd be going back to work in march/april anyway, so it's really just Dec - March that will be affected....I wish I could just work part-time.

Anonymous said...

Hey Alex! This is a tough one! If you think the contacts you make will be worth it, then maybe. But, if you don't need the money and you are truly enjoying your time with plans to travel before the Quinnster is 2, then maybe stay home. Could you work part time for these folks? I, too, wish I could work part time. April isn't so far away. Are you thinking about baby #2 anytime soon? Good luck! We miss you kids!

jessica wallace said...

so what did you decide???

Amy Long said...

What did you decide? I wish I had seen this in the time frame you needed. I am in the same situation, but a little more along. I took the very low paying part-time job (funding through February and only 15 hours a week), thinking it was worth the contacts. I had to put Saybren into a full day program as a result, so the crappy pay is already consumed 65% for that increase in tuition. I've been doing it since Sept 1 and I have to say, I am hoping that the funding does not get renewed, or that I get a permanent offer elsewhere and SOON! The contacts have been good, but not worth it --- yet. But your situation sounds far closer to what you enjoy doing. Mine is puyshing me down the education road and it's a road I am taking more out of necessity than desire. If I want to work in Wilmington, it is going to have to be as an educator.

I hope that what ever you decided, YOU are happy with it. =) Quinn will be happy in either situation, truly. He will thrive in his peer group and he will thrive at home. It is you that needs to be happy so that you can continue to create such a loving, happy home for that beautiful boy. =]

Good luck!