Saturday, March 12, 2011

Photo Tour with Steve Cirone

For Christmas this year Jeff got me a day-long photo tour with local nature photographer, Steve Cirone.  He showed me a few of the local hotspots for bird photography and let me use his fancy schmancy gear (Canon Mark IV and 800mm lens).  We visited Santee Lakes, which was just crawling with fairly tame ducks and wading birds, making them very easy to photograph.  We then spent some time with jumping spiders and macro lenses before breaking for lunch and heading to the San Diego River mudflats.  The tide was very low, which meant the birds were all very spread out, but we still got some great views of Long-billed Curlews and Godwits.  There were also bunches of Western Sandpipers and gulls galore.  

Steve and his partner, Elena, were awesome tour guides and offered lots of tips and advice on how to improve my own photography.  The photos below are taken with both his camera and the 800mm lens and my own Nikon D80 and Steve's 300mm f/4.  

I wish I could take credit for this one, but I think Steve shot this...love love love it.
Elena
Steve
Group of birders watching us
The Monster



1 comment:

b00mer said...

As much as I do not like spiders, I think that photo is my favorite! What beautiful photos!!!